The Queenship of Mary Last Words, Tragic Commons, and a Beknighted Penguin

"Trying to be a Christian"

Print Version August 23rd, 2008

Julie Burchill has some interesting things to say on the subject. Go Julie!

Entry Filed under: Thoughts

8 Comments

• 1. Paul  |  August 26th, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Julie’s comments are kind of bemusing… She did an interview for Third Way magazine last year which came across in a similar way. (Can’t find it online, sadly).

It’s certainly refreshing for someone in the media to start swimming merrily against the tide of popular opinion re Christian faith.

But she does seem to be operating from a pretty simplified understanding of the world – I wonder how long it will continue to work for her?…

Christianity = Good
    Protestantism = Good
    Catholicism = Bad
    Judaism = Good
    Zionism = Good
    Islam = Bad

Sorted :-)

• 2. Nora  |  September 1st, 2008 at 11:41 am

hello Paul

I don’t know why you said good/bad !
    we are not children to see religions on how good or bad it is !
    we should understand all these religions and know every single thought of it ..

let me ask you what do you know about Islam ?!

• 3. Maria  |  September 1st, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Wasn’t Paul saying how Julie Birchill categorises? Nora’s comment seems to imply he was giving his own ratings to the various religions.

• 4. Rob  |  September 1st, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Maria: Thanks. I’m sure you are right. I was afraid I’d have to be referee.

• 5. Paul  |  September 15th, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Hi there guys (Nora, Maria, Rob)

Yes, Maria has interpreted my previous comment correctly. I wasn’t passing judgement on any religious groups or beliefs; I was summarising the way that Julie Birchill’s opinions come across to me (in a flippant way, admittedly).

My apologies to Nora (and anyone else) if I’ve caused any offense by leaving myself open to misinterpretation.

I do think that Julie Birchill has some interesting things to say, as someone in a high profile position who has recently come to faith – but I do wince at some of the sharper edges of her new found worldview.

• 6. kamal  |  February 13th, 2009 at 6:50 pm

@ Paul
    i think
    Islam = Good
    Christianity = Good
    Judaism = Good
    The bad is when your forget that there are a GOD, one GOD.

I’m Muslim, and i must believe about those religions…try to learn more about Islam, and i’m sure you cant, cause ur afraid :)
    Salam

• 7. Paul  |  April 16th, 2009 at 11:32 am

For the record and the benefit of further commenters:

(When I said that ‘Christianity=Good’ etc) “I wasn’t passing judgement on any religious groups or beliefs; I was summarising the way that Julie Birchill’s opinions come across to me”

I’m not afraid of learning about Islam, Salam, thanks, you have read me wrongly. Perhaps you might read Julie’s article yourself, (there’s a link in Rob’s post at the top), and see what you think?

Peace